End of Summer 2018: Feel Good and Get Stuff Done in Westchester County NY
Originally published August 2014, refreshed and reposted for 2018
Remember that white-hot and very worthwhile Ice Bucket Challenge of 2014?
The way it exploded confirmed for me that many of us are torn this time of year: we crave new things that are worthwhile, maybe fun, and can make a difference.
First idea: Start with Best of Westchester 2018
The epicenter of all things 914, 2018 winners were announced last month, wowzer! They also throw the best party, make note now to catch their 2019 soiree!!
Snag Some Free Tickets
Before everyone comes back from vacation, get your bid for tickets to the taping of your favorite shows in now.
SNL, a perennial favorite is sure to have a robust schedule for 2018. Their annual ticket lottery for upcoming season is NOW, here’s how to apply. I actually won a pair a few years back, Bill Hader hosting with Hozier as musical guest, and surprise Kristen Wiig appearance!
Are You Registered to Vote?
- National Voter Registration Day is Tuesday September 25th. There’s a webinar next Thursday 8/16 if you’re interested in volunteering to help.
- New voter, new name or circumstances? This link to federal *non-partisan* site will get you info you need in a few clicks.
- The League of Women Voters isn’t just for women, but is *non-partisan*, and all about voter education and participation. Its motto: Democracy is not a spectator sport! You can volunteer, or attend events.
- Even raise awareness in your own circles by just asking if people are registered
Hit Some Museums
Yes, art can make you happy; quieter and less-crowded museums in late August can make you even happier. In lower Hudson Valley
Fresh off its Best of Westchester trifecta of wins (Best Art Gallery, Best Historic Site and OHYES its Planetarium winning Best Date Night) Yonker’s own Hudson River Museum has free shows under the stars for the next few weekends. Already I’ve seen HVSF’s Hamlet, and The Seratones!
Best deal is the Fairfield Westchester Museum Alliance: Membership to one gets you free admission to all 8, for a full year.
Every 41 seconds someone needs blood in the US, and each pint can help save up to three lives, but donations fall off sharply in the summer. Right now there is an acute blood emergency.
If you are in good health and qualify, it’ll probably be the best 45 minutes you’ll spend in a while, and there are even cookies and juice after! Here’s more info including where to donate from the Red Cross, but trust me, any hospital will welcome you with open arms.
- Dance under the stars, see Fireworks, or Ice Skate-all at Rye Playland
- Movie night at the Drive-In
- Local (and very affordable) minor league baseball in nearby Rockland and Dutchess counties
- More cheap thrills-year round, too!-check out Arts Westchester. Subscribe to their newsletter, you’ll get a list of 5 free to almost free happenings that week
- Looking to feel just a wee bit more productive, take a defensive driver class in the comfort of your air-conditioned home. Lose existing points and shave some bucks off current rates for as little as $30
- OR register for TRH’s next Home Staging workshop, Wednesday Sept 12th at the Bronxville Adult School